TOOLS FOR TEACHERS
With funding from the Canada Fund for Local Initiatives, IICA, in collaboration with the Government of Belize ministries responsible for agriculture, education, and health, has produced a series of videos and posters on healthy lifestyles. These tools are designed to be used by teachers when teaching healthy lifestyles in their classrooms.They provide basic instruction on “Growing Your Own Food”, and “Healthy Diets & Exercise” including how to improve diets by eating more fruits and vegetables and simple exercise routines that teachers can use with their students.
- Two one-minute introductory advertisements to promote the sets of videos “Grow Your Own Food" and "Healthy Diets & Exercise”
- Why Healthy Lifestyles? - introduction to the project
- "Growing Your Own Food" videos - basic instructions on growing your own food in your backyard or school garden.
- "Healthy Diets & Exercise" videos - how to improve diets by eating more fruits and vegetables and simple exercise routines teachers can use with their students.
- Posters for the classroom - to download and print
- Banners for national shows and events - to download and print.
For a healthier happier you...for a healthier happier Belize.
Two one-minute advertisements to promote the video series “Grow Your Own Food” and “Healthy Diets & Exercise”
Why Healthy Lifestyles?
Introduction to the project funded by Canada Fund for Local Initiatives and implemented by the Inter-American Institute for Cooperation on Agriculture in collaboration with Government of Belize ministries responsible for agriculture, education, and health.
A. GROWING YOUR OWN FOOD
A1. Introduction to “Growing Your Own Food”, Seed Selection and Sowing (12:41 mins)
Oscar Salazar from the Ministry of Agriculture Food Security & Enterprise explains the step-by-step process to produce fruit and vegetable seedlings.
A2. Transplanting, Fertilizing and Trellising
Gary Ramirez from the Ministry of Agriculture, Food Security & Enterprise and Oscar Salazar explains how to transplant seedlings, apply fertilizer and implement two types of trellising.
A3. Home remedies for use in Pest Control
Fay Garnett from the Ministry of Agriculture, Food Security & Enterprise gives some ideas on how to make pest control sprays, using plants from your garden and ingredients from your kitchen.
A4. Backyard Gardens
Marilyn Vanegas and Rashaan Morris talk about their experiences with backyard farming and provides tips for successfully growing your own food.
B. HEALTHY DIETS & EXERCISE
B1. Healthy Diets
Karen Rosito, nutritionist and personal trainer, discusses the health benefits of a diet rich in fruits and vegetables and how to make affordable purchases from the market
B2. Balanced Meals for the Family
Stasha Sheppard talks about her experience with healthy eating and shares some of the recipes she uses to keep her family healthy.
B3. Teaching Healthy Diets in the Classroom
Avril Arthurs teaches her students about nutrition and healthy eating as an example for teachers to use in their classrooms.
B4. Exercise Routines for the Classroom
John Antonio conducts an exercise class for his students as an example for other teachers and students to follow.
Posters for the classroom – to download and print (11” x 17” tabloid size)
Stand-up banners for national shows and events – to download and print (38.5” x 78")
- Food-Based Dietary Guidelines for Belize
- Three Vegetables to add to your diet
- Buy local fruits & vegetables
- Adopt a healthy lifestyle
- Basic daily exercise routine